Monday 15 October 2012

The University of Opportunities

We all know the cliché that America is the land of opportunities. Well, since coming to the University of Northern Iowa, I have discovered it to be the University of Opportunities! It sure attracts some influential people. Take Michelle Obama for example, who I wrote about some time ago.



Last week this guy came to UNI. Check out his website: www.draplin.com
I went to his presentation, and I was very impressed. He is a graphic designer, who besides having a very distinct style, also has led a very interesting life so far. This guy has washed dishes, snowboarded, and designed graphics for the US Government and John Hughes (yes, thee John Hughes). After doing some more research, Draplin has definitely become an inspiration to me.

Today I went to another presentation - or rather a screening. I watched the Academy Award nominated documentary "If A Tree Falls: A Story Of The Earth Liberation Front, and after watching it the director himself, Marshall Curry, spoke to us and answered questions.
 



To me it is kind of insane that I have experienced all of these people in the short amount of time I have been here. I am honestly kind of gob-smacked because, come on, you won't see any of these guys in a Danish university. The biggest personality I have seen so far in Denmark is Anthony Giddens, and while he is one of the most influential academics in social sciences, he only came because my education, Human Centered Informatics, celebrated its 25th birthday. I doubt we will see anyone of his caliber at Aalborg University anytime soon. UNI on the other hand will continue to get these people year after year!

I cannot wait to see who the next guest speaker will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment